All your efforts to look dreamy on your big day will go in vain if the bridal makeup isn’t on-point. We can all agree that choosing your makeup artist is one of the most important decisions you make as a bride-to-be. Although the way bridal makeup has evolved over the years, you also have to choose the kind of makeup you want along with the MUA. The two popular names in this arena are HD makeup and Airbrush makeup.
Both of them are an equal rage, which confuses brides even more. They do offer similar benefits in many aspects. It’s the few differences that prove to be the decision-maker.
In this blog, we would explain to you what HD makeup and Airbrush makeup really means, the techniques that go behind them, and their benefits, so you can make an informed decision. After all, that’s what we are here for!
Let’s start with HD Makeup!
What is HD makeup?
High-Definition Makeup is done using high-end products and gives a dewy, natural, and smooth makeup finish. The sought-after ‘your skin, but better’ kinda look. HD makeup manages to cover all the blemishes and spots while lending a sheer, non-pancake-y look! It’s extremely light so goes on smoothly and is comfortable to wear for long hours.
How does it manage to do all of this – you ask! The products used for HD makeup have pigments coated with light-diffusing coatings. This blurs the light when it bounces back and gives an illusion of a skin-like finish.
A makeup product meant for HD finish will have silicone, mica, quartz, or crystal in it. They are finely milled so the camera doesn’t pick them up. Moreover, since the makeup is meant to sit into your skin flawlessly, it’s generally full of hydrating ingredients that make your skin look plump and healthy after application.
Believe it or not, HD makeup actually takes its name from HD television and cameras. With their widespread usage, every flaw on the screen became visible, including the wrinkles & blemishes on the stars’ faces and the makeup used to cover it. That was certainly unacceptable. So the idea of HD technology in makeup was born. With the advancement of light-diffusing pigments, the makeup creates a softer focus to see the skin through the base while camouflaging blemishes and imperfections.
Benefits of HD Makeup:
- Imparts a natural, ‘your skin but better’ look
- Specially designed to look good on camera
- Doesn’t feel heavy on the face, comfortable to wear for long hours
- Hydrates your skin so it looks youthful and moisturized.
How is HD makeup done?
HD makeup is done using blenders, sponges, and brushes. No fancy equipment is needed to apply the makeup. Although the products are formulated with special ingredients so they are quite expensive. Some good products available in the market for HD finish makeup includes:
- Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation
- Smashbox Studio Skin Long Wear Foundation
- Huda Beauty Faux Filter Foundation
- MAC Studio Fix
- MAC Mineralise Foundation
- Bobbi Brown Skin
- Maybelline Fit Me (it has some HD product ingredients, works well for budget makeup)
- LA Girl HD Pro Concealer
- Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Concealer
- Huda Beauty High Coverage Nourishing Concealer
- NYX Professional Makeup HD Photogenic Concealer
- Faces Canada Pro HD Cover-Up Concealer
This product list will help you when you’re looking for an MUA and you can check if the products she uses match the list. Otherwise, just see if the ingredient list of the products includes the minerals required for HD makeup.
But the products alone aren’t enough. If your makeup artist isn’t skilled enough to blend the product properly, you’ll not get a flawless, natural look despite all the high-end products. Many artists upload makeup tutorials, so you can judge her manual skills through them.
How is HD makeup better than Airbrush makeup?
HD makeup offers a more natural base than airbrush makeup. It also photographs better, considering that’s how it was invented. Furthermore, it’s moisturizing effects makes it a perfect option for brides with dry or combination skin. We do believe that HD makeup works better for someone who has good skin beforehand. Anyone who suffers from severe acne or blemishes and wants to hide them, we’d advise them to try out airbrush makeup.
All in all, you should be aware that none of the benefits can come together without the expertise of a makeup artist.
Further Read: 7 Types Of Bridal Eye Makeup You Should Know About!
What is Airbrush makeup?
Airbrush makeup is the go-to red carpet look for celebrities! All credit goes to its durability and smooth, even finished look. With advancements in product accessibility, it has become a favorite for brides all over the world.
In essence, airbrushing uses a device called an airgun to spray tiny droplets of foundation, in the form of a mist, on your face. This connects the makeup with your skin and lends a flawless, long-lasting base. The device uses an air compressor to create the mist from foundation cartridges that hold various shades. The compressor can be adjusted to different levels for giving a lighter, heavier, or any other coverage.
This technique can also be used to apply blush, lip colors, eye shadows, etc. It requires expertise to control the machine while it sprays the products. Since it’s hard to re-blend these products, the application should be perfect in the first go!
Airbrush makeup comes in many formulas, 3 are most commonly used for brides:
- Water-based: the product is dissipated through a mix of pigments and water
- Polymer-based: A mix of water, pigments, and polymers is sprayed. Polymers dry as the product is applied so as to create an even coating.
- Silicone-based: The most long-lasting formula, it will literally stay all day.
Much like HD makeup, the expertise of an MUA becomes a deciding factor to reap all benefits of airbrush makeup. More so because it’s done in a much different way than traditional makeup.
Benefits of Airbrush Makeup:
- Acts as a filler so it looks amazing in pictures. Goodbye, premature wrinkles!
- Stays for a long time. (water-resistant and transfer-resistant, doesn’t rub off clothes)
- Build sheer coverage even after layering of products.
- It feels light on the face and is extremely comfortable to wear.
How is Airbrush Makeup better for weddings than HD?
First off, it’s a much quicker process than HD. The most lengthy part of applying makeup is to create a flawless base, airbrush doesn’t require any blending with sponges, so it’s a faster process. Secondly, it can last longer than HD makeup. For brides whose cultures call for longer wedding ceremonies without any time for touch-ups, airbrush is your savior. Finally, airbrush gives you impeccable skin for your big day. As opposed to a common myth that it’s cakey, airbrush actually gives you photoshopped skin that looks amazing in photographs and to the naked eyes.
Our Final Take!
- HD makeup will give a more natural look than airbrush makeup.
- Both of them will give you a spotless, even skin tone.
- Airbrush makeup isn’t suited for brides with dry skin. Anyone who has dry or combination skin should go for HD makeup. Oily skin beauties can choose either of them.
- Airbrush makeup requires minimal contact, which can be an added advantage during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Ultimately, it all comes down to the expertise of your makeup artist. Make sure you ask all the right questions before you book her for the big day! You having more knowledge will automatically lead to a better decision.
- Airbrush makeup requires more experience than HD. If done incorrectly, the airbrush will leave you with patchy, bumpy makeup.
- If you have already decided your MUA, choose the makeup that’s in her expertise.
- Go for a small trial session so you won’t regret any of your bridal decisions.
- Lastly, airbrush makeup lasts better than HD makeup. Even though setting powders and sprays makes both of them equally long-lasting, airbrush has an edge because of the way it’s applied. The silicon airbrush formula is the best choice for brides getting married in a humid environment or having a long ceremony.
Both of them are equally pricey. HD makeup only uses luxe products and airbrush uses a very delicate device, surging their application charges. But the end results will impress you. So we say it’s totally worth it.
As with any decision, take your time and research well. Most MUA’s would be more than happy to help you with any doubts or questions. Choose the type that suits your skin well and complements your style. We hope this piece of information cleared your doubts. If you’ve any more questions, comment down below and we would be more than happy to help!